The key role of Data WA is to help the community, business and government find the public sector data they are looking for.
Which path do I follow to make my data discoverable on Data WA?
- Data WA is the place to discover any type of public sector data, this includes text-based or tabular data, or location based geospatial data.
- Data can be accessed through the Data WA Catalogue, APIs or by linking to external data application sites.
- All data should have a metadata statement in the Data WA Catalogue, irrespective if it is loaded in the catalogue or sourced externally. This assists with finding public sector data sources. Supporting resources helps to understand the data and use it more effectively.
- Some data are not suitable to be openly accessible due to its sensitive or private nature. To assist with finding this data, you should provide a high-level metadata statement in the Data WA Catalogue, briefly describing the data and provide contact details. This assures that private or sensitive data is not publicly available but that its existence is known, making it easier for government agencies to find the authoritative data or contact for the data and reducing potential duplication of work.
- The team can assist with advice on the best option to make your data discoverable, this includes harvesting and setting up scripts or use of APIs.
What is the relationship between Data WA and SLIP?
- Data WA is a Data Catalogue. The Catalogue contains datasets – a package of information consisting of data, services, metadata and supporting resources. Each dataset has a high-level metadata statement.
- Any type of data can be loaded to Data WA – location data, elevation or 3D, imagery, reports, spreadsheets, documents, APIs. Read how to publish data on Data WA in the help centre or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To make data more usable we prefer machine readable and interoperable formats like APIs. Visit the Data WA progress dashboard to see how we are tracking.
- SLIP products and services are accessible from Data WA. SLIP metadata is recorded in the Data WA Catalogue.
- Data custodians can use SLIP to provide location or geospatial vector data. Imagery services are included in SLIP products.
- SLIP is a specific location information product which undergoes processes to ensure it is up to date and secure. Important location information from trusted government agencies should be provided as a SLIP service. SLIP has agreements in place with data custodians for governance and ongoing management of the data.
- SLIP data is loaded through the Data Upload Tool and links in with the processes run by Landgate to create SLIP services using Esri technology. Read an introduction for geospatial data publishers to get started.